skip to main content
Additional Pages:

October 6, 2017

Dear Parents/Guardians:

AzMERIT is the state assessment for schools that measures students' knowledge in the content areas of English language arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades 3-8 and high school. Each AZMERIT test is aligned to Arizona's academic standards. AzMERIT was first administered in spring 2015. This assessment is designed to measure student’s proficiency in these subjects.  In addition, students in grades 4, 8, and 10 are assessed in Science using the AIMS test.

During the transition of the state assessment system from AIMS to AzMERIT, the A – F grading system for schools was suspended temporarily. The State Board of Education was charged with developing a new system to comply with state and federal requirements while using the opportunity to measure the quality of a school and its effectiveness across a broader range of measures.

Below is the information regarding our Letter Grades that have been assigned by the state of Arizona.  These grades are based on the 2016-17 school year assessments.

School Grade Percentage Range for Grade
Havasupai B 77.4% 74 - 85%
Jamaica B 77% 74 - 85%
Nautilus B 80% 74 - 85%
Oro Grande C 70% 62 - 73%
Smoketree B 78% 74 - 85%
Starline A 88% 86 - 100%
Thunderbolt F 47% 49% and below
Lake Havasu HS C 68% 56 - 70%


For our K-8 schools, their score is based primarily on assessment results- up to 90% if the school has a high number of English learners.

Middle school falls within the K-8 guidelines, which does impact those grades.  By 6th grade, students are “reading to learn” rather than “learning to read”.  In a growth model, the standards that are presented at each grade level become more difficult, whereas at the earlier grades, reading mastery and mathematical skills are still being honed, better for measuring growth. 

The 9-12 scores are based upon several factors.  60% of the high school grade is based upon assessment results.  The remaining 40% includes graduation rates and college and career readiness, which includes many indicators. It is important to note that the college and career readiness indicators are self reported, which may be a questionable variable when comparing high schools.
Each of our principals will be sharing information specific to their site’s results. 

During 2017-18, our schools will be transitioning to the lastest revision of our state’s standards that were adopted in December 2016.  These newly revised standards will be assessed in spring 2019.  Information on the new standards and the new A – F Accountability system may be found on our district website. Click here to view these additional resources.

As expected, the grades are lower for many schools in this district as well as across the state. LHUSD will use our new letter grades as the new baseline for making improvements. We will continue to provide a world class education to all of our students. We ask that you consider how to support the increased expectations for all; students, teachers, and parents. We look forward to working with you and continuing our partnership.



Diana M. Asseier
Lake Havasu Unified School District #1

Lake Havasu Unified School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, or disability in admission to its programs,
services, or activities, in access to them, in treatment of individuals, or in any aspect of their operations. More in English | Spanish.

We may provide links to outside websites that contain information about our students (including full name and pictures),
but such links will be limited to those related to a legitimate academic or extracurricular activity.


Hours: M–F, 7 am to 4 pm

2200 Havasupai Blvd. | Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403 | PH: 928-505-6900 | FX: 928-505-6999