Free summer breakfast and lunch for kids 18 and under
Smoketree, Jamaica, and Nautilus Elementary Schools and Lake Havasu High School are all participating in the Summer Food Service Program offering free breakfast and lunch to children age 18 and younger. All children 18 or younger can participate whether they attend one of our schools or not. Details...
What is the Summer Food Service Program? The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Child Nutrition Program established to ensure that low-income children, ages 18 and younger, continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. Free meals, that meet Federal nutrition guidelines, are provided to all children at approved SFSP sites in areas with significant concentrations of low-income children by schools, private non-profits and local or county governments. The SFSP is administered at the State level by the Arizona Department of Education (ADE).
Amy DePuydt receives K-12 Foundation Golden Apple Award
The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD#1 presented the Sherry Dailey Golden Apple Award for May, 2015 to Amy DePuydt. Mrs. DePuydt teaches fifth grade math and science at Nautilus Elementary School. More and a picture.
Eleventh Annual K-12 Academic Recognition Banquet honors amazing students and teachers
It was a great year for Lake Havasu High School athletes
Please take a look at the new website LHC4Kids.com. From the site:
Our community wants a great education for our children. A group of businesses and churches have partnered together to raise support for the Lake Havasu Elementary Schools. Each of the six public elementary schools has submitted a “needs” list of resources, technology and training that will assist them in continuing in educational excellence. Our community goal is $60,000 ($10,000 per school) with $6,000 already pledged by the sponsors. We invite you to join us in supporting our children today!
We are adding a permanent link for this site to our QUICKLINKS list to the left. (If you are using a smaller, hand held device, QUICKLINKS will show up near the bottom on the page.)
LHHS has a new marquee, thanks to a generous donation
LHHS students + state competitions = lots of gold, silver, and bronze
As the school year winds down, many Lake Havasu High School students participate in non-athletic, state level competitions, and they do very well indeed. More...
Donations to support technology
Our thanks to Linda Denovan of The Denovan Group Real Estate Professionals for making a donation of $1600 that will be used for technology items as listed below. We also thank the K-12 Foundation for LHUSD #1 for their involvement.
- One new digital projector for Lake Havasu High School.
- Chromebooks and Chromebook parts for Thunderbolt Middle School.
- Replacement projector bulbs for schools as needed.
Pictured (left to right): Michelle Burke (district technology integration specialist) and LHUSD superintendent Gail Malay will put the donation to good use.
We also wish to thank Laura Prahl from Edward Jones for a donation of $300. This money will buy a new document camera for a Lake Havasu High School science teacher and a spare projector bulb for schools as needed.
Pictured (left to right): Laura Prahl passes a check to district technology integration specialist Michelle Burke.
Community Forum on Education and Superintendent Search
If you missed the community forum on April 30, you can watch video of the meeting and review the PowerPoint presentations online. Show me!
LHHS Fashion Program's annual Fashion Show
The Lake Havasu High School Fashion Design Program had its annual fashion show on Friday, April 17, at 7 p.m. in the High School's performing arts center. River Scene Magazine did a nice report.
LHHS team wins 2015 Mohave Community College Mathlympics
Recent articles from River Scene Magazine
River Scene Magazine features stories about Lake Havasu City and the surrounding area. Here are links to several recent stories about Lake Havasu Unified School District.
- Teacher Appreciation Week at Starline 5/5/15
- Teacher Spotlight : Deborah Strother Fashion Design & Merchandising CTE Teacher 3/12/15
- N.O.V.A. graduation 3/6/15
- Smoketree Students Get a Big Surprise 2/20/15
- Education Spotlight: Lynn Burns, School Nurse 2/16/15
- Teacher Spotlight: Brian Zemojtel History Teacher at LHHS 2/9/15
- Teacher Spotlight: Rebecca Pehling 1/7/15
Other recent stories
Stories from our website or other sites.
- “I am amazed that we can do experiments with Arizona State University professors and students.” 2/25/15
- Changing the world starts with a handshake 1/16/15
- Let's talk about measles
- Congratulations to our newest NBC teachers
- Solar Project signs at LHHS and district office
- Hour of Code activities: brain exercise for all ages 12/15/14
- Arizona’s Measurement of Educational Readiness to Inform Teaching (AzMERIT) 11/14
- Story archive
Stories from the local newspaper. (These links will take you to the newspaper's website.)
- LHHS student council wins bid to host Arizona convention 2/10/15
- Oro Grande 1st grade students celebrate Thanksgiving 11/26/14
- Starline 6th graders show off Rube Goldberg contraptions 11/21/14
- Havasu students hit groove in blended learning pilot 11/18/14
- Old Skybox restaurant to become WAVE JTED Culinary Arts school 9/10/14 (More about this in the JTED newsletter.)
- Thunderbolt seeking wins in classrooms 8/13/14
- Story Archive