In the educational model:
In the medical model:
- Referral is initiated by the physician based on a particular diagnosis or observed delay in one or more areas of development.
- The parent is then referred to a hospital or clinic for an evaluation and/or treatment by the appropriate professional.
- Need for service is primarily based on testing and clinical observations. The assessment would take all settings into consideration.
- Children with mild, moderate and severe deficits may qualify for services.
- Therapy can address movement quality as well as function.
- The parent is responsible for obtaining the needed services as well as payment for those services.
- Health insurance may frequently assist with payment, but not always.
Provided by therapist reinforced by trained staff.
Provided by therapist or assistant. Must be doctor prescribed.