Lake Havasu Unified Governing Board
The Governing Board is the policy making body of the school district. It has the authority and responsibility to provide an educational program for students living within the district, but must work within the framework of State and Federal law.
Responsibilities of the board include:
- Determining the long range direction of the school district.
- Establishing policies which direct the programs of the district.
- Establishing policies governing the use of school property.
- Calling elections on bond proposals, budget overides, and other issues.
- Adopting the annual school budget.
- Evaluating the district superintendent.
- Communicating to other Board members and the Superintendent expressions of public reaction to Board policies and school programs.
A board member's first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of the students attending the public schools. (District policy BCA Board Member Ethics)
You may send mail to any governing board member at
2200 Havasupai Blvd.,
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403.
Monthly Governing Board meetings are held the third Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the meeting room at the Lake Havasu Unified District Office, 2200 Havasupai Blvd., Lake Havasu City. Schedule of Meetings | Meeting Agendas
Election of Governing Board Members
Governing board member are elected for a 4 year term. Board members are not compensated for the position. In the case of a vacancy on the board during the non-expired term of a member the majority of the board may recommend someone within the district to fill the vacancy. Final approval is made by the County Superintendent of Schools.
In Lake Havasu most issues and concerns can and should be resolved by building level school personnel before being brought before the Governing Board. At this level teachers and principals can be very helpful. (see LHUSD's Guide to Solving Problems) If a conflict needs more attention the next step is to contact this district office and communicate with the Chief Administrator or one of their staff. If the issue is still not resolved, then it should be brought to the attention of the board as an agenda item.
A Meeting of the Governing Board
A visitor may speak to the governing board during Call to the Public. (Please see policy BEDH Public Participation at Board Meetings) In normal situations visitors are requested to keep their remarks as concise as possible.
Visitors will notice that there are several types of items on the agenda (sample agenda ):
- Consent Calendar - Approval of Minutes, Approval of Modification of Minutes, and Personnel Report are listed under the Consent Calendar. The Governing board may take one or more items off the consent Calendar and vote on the item(s) removed separately.
- Old Business - Any items that would be presented from last months meeting i.e. Second Reading of Policies, items tabled for further information.
- Action Items - these matters also require a formal decision by the Board. It is important to note that no action can be taken except on action items.
- Information Items - Informational presentations to the Board may be given by the Superintendent, members of the administrative team, Board members, staff members, students, and community or other representatives. Although pertinent to the operation of the school district, these reports do not require action by the Board.
- News Conference - At the end of the meeting, the Board President may invite members of the media to ask any questions they may have concerning action items, the board's decision on them, and any reports made.