Why didn't somebody tell me about this?
Do you know about the Arizona Tax Credit for Contributions Made or Fees Paid to Public Schools? Unlike a tax deduction, this tax credit gives you a dollar for dollar credit against your Arizona state tax obligation so you may owe less or get a larger refund. Your tax credit contribution stays local and goes where you specify. There is a long list of options, but the money must go to "...the support of extracurricular activities or character education programs."* Read more about the tax credit program.
Many people make their 2014 contribution in December, so this is a very busy time for our tax credit office. Tax credit office holiday hours:
- December 1–19: 8 am to 5 pm.
- December 22–23: 8 am to 3 pm.
- Closed December 24 and 25.
- December 26: 8 am to 3 pm.
- December 29–31: 8 am to 3 pm.
Tax credit forms are available online and at the Smith's service desk, Mohave County Library, Horizon Community Bank, Mohave State Bank, and our district office. Checks and forms can be sent via U.S. Mail to Lake Havasu Unified School District, 2200 Havasupai Blvd., Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403. Your check should be made out to Lake Havasu Unified School District. If you mail it, it must be postmarked by 12/31/14. Otherwise it can't be used against your 2014 taxes. You may also pay by check, cash, or credit card at our district office. Have questions? Call or email Jackie Taylor (505-6917 or email@example.com).
Bridget Hagest awarded K-12 Foundation Golden Apple
The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD#1 presented the Sherry Dailey Golden Apple Award for November, 2014 to Starline Elementary School Academic Coach Bridget Hagest. More and pictures.
K-12 Foundation offering HoneyBaked Ham for Christmas
The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD #1 sponsors several fundraisers each year to raise money towards their goal of supporting our schools. Right now they are taking orders for Christmas/New Year holiday foods from the HoneyBaked Ham Company: turkey, ham, cakes, pies, etc. Place your order by Monday, December 22 and pick it up on the 23rd. Orders are placed and picked up at our local Schlotzsky's (854-2144, 2144 McCulloch Blvd.) See the order form for all details. If you have ever had one of these hams, you know they are fantastic and the left-overs are great in sandwiches and soups.
Recent videos: entertaining and educational
- Added 12/8/14: Thunderbolt Middle School, Capturing Kids Hearts. (This link takes you to the Vimeo website.) Thanks to Lake Havasu High School student Carter for making this and the Lip Dub 2014 video mentioned below.
- The birth of B.Y.O.D. at Lake Havasu Unified School District. B.Y.O.D.= Bring Your Own Device. (This link takes you to the lessonplanet.com website.
- Lake Havasu High School Lip Dub 2014 (This link takes you to the Vimeo website.)
- Lake Havasu High School volleyball team's anti-bullying video. (This link takes you to the YouTube website.) You can also read a related editorial from our local newspaper.
New Governing Board member(s)
Congratulations to Pat Rooney and Nichole Cohen on being elected to the Lake Havasu Unified School District Governing Board. As a returning board member, Mr. Rooney knows this is a challenging job for no compensation except the satisfaction that comes from community service. Our thanks to candidates Deanna Pfleger and Vernon Bridges. They were not elected to the board, but they cared enough to run.
Mrs. Cohen and Mr. Rooney officially start their terms on the board January 1st. The first regular board meeting of 2015 will be on January 20. An organizational meeting will be held before that date to administer the oath of office and elect board officers. The date for the organizational meeting has not yet been set.
Sesame Street helps your family prepare for an emergency
Prepare your family for the unexpected. Sesame Street’s Let's Get Ready website helps families prepare for emergencies in simple ways, as children learn basic information to help them stay safe and make them proud to be prepared!
All about options and opportunities
Lake Havasu High School offers many options to students. Let's talk about just two of them. With the support and cooperation of Mohave Community College and the WAVE JTED (Western Arizona Vocational Education Joint Technical Education District), Lake Havasu High School students have the option of working towards a career in H.V.A.C. or welding while still in high school. You can watch a video about each of these programs on the WAVE JTED YouTube channel. LHHS offers more.
Solar Project signs at LHHS and district office
You may notice a new sign in front of Lake Havasu High School and the Lake Havasu Unified District Office. You may say to yourself, "How do they expect me to read that small sign while I am driving down the street?" The signs were provided by AMERESCO, a company that worked on the solar project at each site, and they carry an important message. "SAVING WITH SOLAR. No added cost to the district or tax payers - utility incentives and energy savings from solar energy pays for this project." The solar installations are paying for themselves. As an additional benefit, the structures supporting the panels provide shaded parking for some of our staff, visitors, and students.
Other recent stories
Stories from our website or other sites.
- Hour of Code activities: brain exercise for all ages 12/15/14
- Arizona’s Measurement of Educational Readiness to Inform Teaching (AzMERIT) 11/14
- Congratulations to LHHS counselor Sarah Skemp 10/3/14
- Legendary Teacher Day in Havasu 9/25/14
- K-12 Academic Recognition Banquet honors students and teachers 5/13/14
- L.H.H.S. F.B.L.A. state competition results 4/24/14
- SkillsUSA students at 2014 State Competition 4/18/2014
- Ad designers earn $$$ for their classrooms 3/4/14
- Story archive
Stories from the local newspaper. (These links will take you to the newspaper's website.)
- Oro Grande 1st grade students celebrate Thanksgiving 11/26/14
- Starline 6th graders show off Rube Goldberg contraptions 11/21/14
- Havasu students hit groove in blended learning pilot 11/18/14
- Old Skybox restaurant to become WAVE JTED Culinary Arts school 9/10/14 (More about this in the JTED newsletter.)
- Thunderbolt seeking wins in classrooms 8/13/14
- Story Archive