New superintendent: what are we looking for?
There will be a community meeting regarding selection of the next superintendent for Lake Havasu Unified—April 30, 4 p.m. in Daytona Hall on the Lake Havasu City A.S.U. campus. More...
LHHS Fashion Program's annual Fashion Show
The Lake Havasu High School Fashion Design Program had its annual fashion show on Friday, April 17, at 7 p.m. in the High School's performing arts center. River Scene Magazine did a nice report.
Use some of your tax refund to join the tax credit program
Are you one of the thousands of Lake Havasu City residents that do not participate in the Arizona school tax credit program? Are you expecting an income tax refund this year? Roll some of it over into the tax credit program. It can help you get a bigger refund next year. More about the tax credit program...
How do you beat test anxiety? With music and humor.
How do you help students deal with test anxiety during testing week? How do you remind them to get a good night's rest, and to eat a good breakfast? How do you remind them to get to school on time? How do you build their confidence and let them know they are ready? Starline Elementary does it with a special test prep motivational video. Lyrics and performance by the very talented Mr. Novak; filmed/edited by Mrs. Hagest. Watch the video on YouTube.
Live comedy hypnosis show to benefit student organizations
Several Lake Havasu High School student organizations (Educational Tour Group, LHHS Student Council, and Close Up) are sponsoring a live comedy hypnosis show at the high school's performing arts center at 7 pm on April 29. Tickets are $10 if purchased in advance and $12 at the door. The show features comedy hypnotist Sukuma Avery. He has performed here before, and you can see a video on YouTube that looks like it may have been shot at LHHS. The purple curtains look like ours, the chairs look like ours, the flags look like ours, etc. Anyway, the show looks like lots of fun for the whole family.
LHHS team wins 2015 Mohave Community College Mathlympics
Legislature adjourns: SB 1172 and HB 2616 do not become law
We posted notice on this website of two items on the State legislative agenda that would have a negative impact on schools. Senate Bill 1172 said an employee of a school district could not distribute written or electronic materials to influence the outcome of an election or that advocated for or against pending legislation. House Bill 2616 said school districts could only keep part of the tax credit money they collected, the remainder being redistributed by the State.
We encouraged you to contact political officials about these bills, and you may have helped prevent them from becoming law. Thank you.
Liane Stancil receives K-12 Foundation Golden Apple Award
The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD#1 presented the Sherry Dailey Golden Apple Award for March, 2015 to Liane Stancil. Mrs. Stancil teaches 4th grade at Jamaica Elementary School. More and a picture.
“I am amazed that we can do experiments with Arizona State University professors and students.”
STEM clubs at Lake Havasu Unified elementary schools are helping to develop the scientists, engineers, and mathematicians of tomorrow. Jamaica sixth grader, Avery, says, “I am amazed that we can do experiments with Arizona State University professors and students.”
The United States became a global leader through its innovations and inventions during the 20th Century. They included the automobile and airplane, space flight and the lunar landing, the radio and television, laser and fiber optics, the Internet and Wi-Fi communications.
Americans led the world in creativity using science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). So, how will America fair in the 21st Century and beyond? More about STEM at LHUSD...
Recent articles from River Scene Magazine
River Scene Magazine features stories about Lake Havasu City and the surrounding area. Here are links to several recent stories about Lake Havasu Unified School District.
- Teacher Spotlight : Deborah Strother Fashion Design & Merchandising CTE Teacher 3/12/15
- N.O.V.A. graduation 3/6/15
- Smoketree Students Get a Big Surprise 2/20/15
- Education Spotlight: Lynn Burns, School Nurse 2/16/15
- Teacher Spotlight: Brian Zemojtel History Teacher at LHHS 2/9/15
- Teacher Spotlight: Rebecca Pehling 1/7/15
Donation will pay for new marquee at LHHS
The Lake Havasu Unified governing board, during its regular meeting on February 17, 2015, approved purchase of a new marquee for Lake Havasu High School. Money for the marquis was donated by Mr. Jeff Guylas. Our thanks to Mr. Guylas and his family.
More about the marquee | More about the meeting
LHHS selected to host 2017 student leadership convention
Lake Havasu High School has been selected to host the 2017 state convention of the Arizona Association of Student Councils. The event is expected to bring 2000 out of towners here for a weekend in early 2017. Congratulations to students and staff involved in student government for making this happen. Read more in the newspaper | PowerPoint
Other recent stories
Stories from our website or other sites.
- Changing the world starts with a handshake 1/16/15
- Let's talk about measles
- Congratulations to our newest NBC teachers
- Solar Project signs at LHHS and district office
- Hour of Code activities: brain exercise for all ages 12/15/14
- Arizona’s Measurement of Educational Readiness to Inform Teaching (AzMERIT) 11/14
- Congratulations to LHHS counselor Sarah Skemp 10/3/14
- Legendary Teacher Day in Havasu 9/25/14
- K-12 Academic Recognition Banquet honors students and teachers 5/13/14
- L.H.H.S. F.B.L.A. state competition results 4/24/14
- SkillsUSA students at 2014 State Competition 4/18/2014
- Ad designers earn $$$ for their classrooms 3/4/14
- Story archive
Stories from the local newspaper. (These links will take you to the newspaper's website.)
- Oro Grande 1st grade students celebrate Thanksgiving 11/26/14
- Starline 6th graders show off Rube Goldberg contraptions 11/21/14
- Havasu students hit groove in blended learning pilot 11/18/14
- Old Skybox restaurant to become WAVE JTED Culinary Arts school 9/10/14 (More about this in the JTED newsletter.)
- Thunderbolt seeking wins in classrooms 8/13/14
- Story Archive