School spirit at LHHS
School spirit is at least 8.0 on the Richter scale at Lake Havasu High School as evidenced by the LHHS Lip Dub 2014 video. Guaranteed to make you smile.
Who are the candidates for school board?
Four people—Vernon Bridges, Nicole Cohen, Deanna Pfleger, and Pat Rooney—have qualified to have their names on the November ballot for two positions on the Governing Board of Lake Havasu Unified School District. To help us make an informed decision on who will lead our district in the years ahead, the Lake Havasu Association of Realtors is sponsoring a "Meet the Candidates" night on October 2nd, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center at Lake Havasu High School (map). All four school board candidates are expected to be there, and we hope you can attend.
The Great Voter Challenge
Arizona's O'Connor House has launched The Great Voter Challenge to encourage voter registration, education, and turnout for the 2014 Elections. In 2012, Arizona had one of the lowest voter turnout rates in the nation. Arizona ranked 45th out of the 50 states with only 53.3% of eligible voters voting. Voting is not only a right, but one of the most important duties of American citizens. The United States was founded on the belief that citizens would have a choice in their leaders and policies. In order to ensure that our students vote when they become adults, it is important that parents register to vote and vote on Election Day. Franklin Roosevelt once said, “Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.” More...
- September: Check online to see if I am registered to vote at voter.azsos.gov/VoterView/RegistrantSearch.do.
- October 6: Last day to register to vote in the General Election. Register online at servicearizona.com/voterRegistration?popularclick.
- October 9: early voting begins.
- October 24: last day to request early ballot. (Contact Mohave County Recorder at 888-607-0733.) Must be mailed in and received by election day. May also be dropped off at any polling place in your county on election day.
- November 4: Election Day. Polls open 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Try A Taste of Havasu
Please reserve the evening of Tuesday, October 21 for A Taste of Havasu. This annual event, held each October during London Bridge Days, is a major fundraiser for The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD #1 and a delicious bargain for you. A taste means that many local resaurants (including Mudshark Brewery, Waldo's BBQ, Lin's Little China, Shugrue's, and Mad Dog's) offer samples of their best dishes.
- Buy tickets at Wells Fargo main branch, C.R.B.I.A., LHUSD#1 office, Gold Star Engraving, Convention & Visitors Bureau, or call 928-208-1522.
- Tickets $20 in advance or $25 at the door.
- Event is Tuesday, October 21 from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the swap meet area of London Bridge Shopping Center.
Something fishy at the September 9 board meeting
The Lake Havasu High School Anglers Club received a check for $4,000 as grand prize winner in the Berkley 2014 High School Fishing Club Challenge. Berkley is (according to the company website) "the world's leading fishing tackle company." A company representative was at the September 9 meeting of our governing board to present the check to the club's coach (and Lake Havasu High School physical science teacher) Meghan Cates.
All about options and opportunities
Lake Havasu High School offers many options to students. Let's talk about just two of them. With the support and cooperation of Mohave Community College and the WAVE JTED (Western Arizona Vocational Education Joint Technical Education District), Lake Havasu High School students have the option of working towards a career in H.V.A.C. or welding while still in high school. You can watch a video about each of these programs on the WAVE JTED YouTube channel. LHHS offers more.
Solar Project signs at LHHS and district office
You may notice a new sign in front of Lake Havasu High School and the Lake Havasu Unified District Office. You may say to yourself, "How do they expect me to read that small sign while I am driving down the street?" The signs were provided by AMERESCO, a company that worked on the solar project at each site, and they carry an important message. "SAVING WITH SOLAR. No added cost to the district or tax payers - utility incentives and energy savings from solar energy pays for this project." The solar installations are paying for themselves. As an additional benefit, the structures supporting the panels provide shaded parking for some of our staff, visitors, and students.
Tara Smith awarded K-12 Foundation Golden Apple
The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD#1 presented the Sherry Dailey Golden Apple Award for September, 2014 to Oro Grande Elementary School Primary Resource teacher Tara Smith. More and pictures.
Guiding Good Choices parenting class
Most of us know that computer software does not come with instructions. This lack has created a whole industry of "For Dummies" and "The Missing Manual" type books that provide the operator's manual that should have come with the product. What about children? Much more complicated than computer software, but no instructions provided. That is no longer a problem because free Guiding Good Choices parenting classes are available! You will learn practical skills to help you strengthen your relationship with your child and guide him or her through life's challenges. The classes will be offered three times during the next year. The first one is in October. More...
Other classes of interest coming up:
- Parenting classes from Interagency (Various times and dates)
- Financial Fitness (Sept. 25–October 30, 5–7 p.m.)
- Ask a Lawyer (September 26, 1 p.m.–3 p.m.)
LHUSD governing board makes decision on bonds
During a meeting that lasted almost 3 hours, the Lake Havasu Unified School District governing board voted unanimously to call for a capital bond election on November 4, 2014 in an amount not to exceed $67,460,000. More about the June 30 board meeting...
Other recent stories
Stories from our website or other sites.
- SkillsUSA students at 2014 State Competition
- K-12 Academic Recognition Banquet honors students and teachers 5/13/14
- L.H.H.S. F.B.L.A. state competition results 4/24/14
- Ad designers earn $$$ for their classrooms 3/4/14
- Story archive
Stories from the local newspaper.
- Thunderbolt seeking wins in classrooms 8/13/14
- Thunderbolt student semifinalist in state Geographic Bee 3/19/14
- Love on a Leash program visits Oro Grande 3/7/14
- Students tackle issues during government day 2/19/14
- Future Business Leaders of America 2/8/14
- Story Archive